Finland’s oldest inland town, Hämeenlinna, is especially known for its medieval castle, of the magical nature reserve Aulanko and as the birth place of the composer Jean Sibelius. In 2015 Hämeenlinna also became known as a town of mega events as AC/DC filled Kantola Event Park with 55 000 fans. Hämeenlinna is located only one hour’s train ride from Helsinki.
Top 5 events in 2016
- Tomaatteja! Tomaatteja! Stand up Festival 11–14 May, www.tomaattejatomaatteja.com
- Naïvists in Iittala exhibition 21 May–21 August, www.naivistitiittalassa.fi
- Iron Maiden: The book of souls world tour, 29 June, www.kantolaan.fi/en
- Linna Jazz 7–10 July www.linnajazz.fi
- Häme Medieval Fair 19–21 August, www.keskiaikamarkkinat.fi
Further information: www.visithameenlinna.fi
Hämeenlinna features in the Helsinki & Southern Finland daytrips brochure.